Welcome To Our Little Big House On The Prairie


Friday, August 12, 2011

Great Finds!

Today I didn't do much in the way of refurbishing the wrestler's dresser.  I hit it with a 3rd coat of paint in some spots that were hard to get and gave it it's first coat of poly a couple of hours later.

I was suffering from a slight case of cabin fever - and the last couple of weeks of the kids being bored and driving me to distraction before school starts, so I decided to escape for a couple of hours. I ventured into a couple of places that you would've never caught me before - all in the name of scoring some great finds and looking for some furniture for our master bedroom re-do.

The first place I went was a little place called "Trinkets and Togs" located in the next town over.  WOW!  What potential there!  Trinkets and Togs is a wonderful little thrift store run by the Larabee Center, which devotes itself to the needs of persons with disabilities.  All proceeds from the store go to support this organization and most of the persons who are employed there are special needs.  It is pretty much THE place where everyone in the surrounding areas donates furniture, clothes, shoes, etc.   I saw several desks that I would love to get my hands on to refurbish, priced anywhere from thirty to sixty dollars.  Of course the one that I really wanted was $60.  However, I curbed my enthusiasm and reminded myself that I am strictly focusing on the upstairs of the house and I'm sure that I would find something I love just as much when it comes time to redecorate the downstairs.  Yay for will-power!

Here are just a few of the finds I scored there:


This little bench ran me $10.  It looks like someone attempted a distressed look and epically failed or maybe its just a really ugly bench.  I don't generally go for the whole heart country look, but with a little primer, some white paint, and a little distressing, I think it'll be super cute in the diva's room.  If not, it will always look good outside under a tree amongst some hosta.


Okay, so I NEVER purchase clothing from places like this, but these were just too good to pass up.  Nike Shoes:  $3.00  Nike Dri-Fit long sleeved shirt:  $3.00
How can you pass up a steal like that?


 This way cute little flower pot will eventually find a place somewhere in the house.  For $4.00, who could resist?


I found this cozy little throw for $3.00, shoved beneath some hideous comforters.  Couldn't believe that the same thing would have cost me $15.00 or better anywhere else.

Encouraged by these great finds, I went on over to the Goodwill Store on the other side of town.  Nada.  I was kind of disappointed, but I was not really surprised.  Pretty much everyone locally supports Trinkets, and I think a lot of people were miffed that Goodwill, which is supposed to support the disadvantaged spent over a million dollars building this new location.  I have to agree.  Where is the sense in that?

I hemmed and hawed for a while and then decided while I was at it, I would run to Waterloo and go to the Goodwill Store there.  I was not disappointed.  In fact, I'm pretty stoked at what I did find.

I found these lovely two end tables that need a lot of TLC, but have tons of potential:


Aren't they awesome?!


Love the details on the feet of the legs.


And the top.


And this on the sides.  When I first looked at them, I thought about taking them out and tossing them, but now that I look at them again, I think with a coat of silver spray paint, they might be able to be redeemed.


And the corners.



Wanna guess how much I paid for them?


Any guesses?


No?


Try $10 a piece.  How's that for a steal?!

When I looked at them in the store, I thought I might use them in the boys' room, in between their beds.  But the more and more I thought about it on the way home, I think they would look awesome in our master bedroom in a really fun color.  Turquoise (I admit I have a turquoise fetish)?  Or a sunny yellow?  

I have envisioned all kinds of possibilities!  

And the boys?  Well, they get our old nightstands that are boxy and blah.  With a coat of black paint and some silver knobs, they'll go nicely with their bedrooms.  

See, everyone wins!


I also found these shelves:  


They need to be spruced up a bit with some white spray paint, but at $5.00 a piece?  Yeah.  FIVE DOLLARS EACH!!!  I figured what's another $2.79 for some spray paint?  I think these will find a home in Eva's room and our master bedroom.

I also made a little side trip to Menard's, our midwest chain hardware store.  I got some tools of the trade....


And here's your sneak peek of my next project for the boys' room:



Any guesses as to what I'm planning on doing with these?

A 4x4 sheet of plywood, a sheet of pegboard, 
and some 1/2" J Hooks....

Oh, the possibilities!

But all of THAT will have to be put on hold until later this evening.  I've got some yummy cukes, zucchini, and yellow squash from my in-law's garden that are calling my name - or maybe that's just the kids yelling that they're hungry!  

Goodnight everyone!


No comments: