Welcome To Our Little Big House On The Prairie


Friday, April 6, 2012

Pine Chimney Cabinet

Back in January when I revealed my office makeover, I told you I would tell you about the fiasco that was my pine chimney cabinet.  The best makeover stories are the screw-ups with the happy ending, I think.

A chimney cabinet or cupboard was used during the 1800's in the small narrow space in between the chimney and the wall.  Mostly used for utility storage, it was a great use of a small space.  I have no idea how old the one I found in the "Mart of Doom" (you can read while I call it that HERE) is, but it has definitely seen some wear and tear.

I managed to talk good ol' Gene down to $50.00 from his $75.00  asking price, so at least I saved a wee bit on it.


Probably still paid too much for it, but what-ev.  Serves its purpose just fine.


It was really disgustingly gross on the inside - as are most things from the "Mart of Doom", but it cleaned up really well.

Initially, my idea was to remove the lengthwise divider on the inside and replace it with horizontal shelving.  Maybe one day.  Being the midst of the massive office makeover, honestly I was just too lazy to tackle it...  Especially after my massive blunder on it.

Sooooooo...

My idea was to paint her a gorgeous blue with some homemade chalk paint and then give her a little distressing.

Did that.  Didn't like it.  Too blah.

HOLY COW.
CAN YOU BELIEVE THE OFFICE USED TO LOOK LIKE THAT?????
So, then I got the wondrous idea to write a Bible verse down the entire front of it - in paint marker.  A great idea in theory - and probably a great idea if you execute it right.  Yeah, I didn't.

Poor Scott took an hour to tediously draw lines down the entire front of the cabinet.  As I've mentioned before, I have crooked eye syndrome and I can't even draw a straight line using a ruler.  Its a terrible affliction, believe me.

When he was done, I set to work writing Proverbs 31. It looked terrible.  I tried silver paint.  It was too light.  I tried black paint over the silver paint.  It was too dark.  I had absolutely RUINED the cabinet and I was HORRIFIED.

So, I decided to see if I could take a Magic Eraser to it.  Nope, didn't work.  409?  Nope.  Clorox?  Nope.  I wanted to cry.  Seriously.  I REALLY didn't want to paint over it again.  You have to understand that at the time I was primer and painting the entire office; Walls AND trim.  Not to mention three separate furniture makeover that were going INTO said office.  I really, really didn't want to have to start over.  Considering I'm not a pro at this and I've only been making over furniture for a little over 6 months, I was at my maximum stress threshold level.

Needless to say, I DON'T have pictures of the catastrophe.  If I did, I'd show ya.

As a last ditch effort, I took the sander to it.  You know how I REALLY like my chippy, shabby look:


As I sanded, I really started to like what I was seeing.

I sanded a little more...

And a little more...

And a little more.

Bit by bit, I realized that maybe screwing it up had been a good thing.  

And the more I sanded and distressed it, the more I liked it.


Or as my kids call it, "Making Everything Old"  LOL


And even though I decided to leave the vertical divider in place, it works great for the chicken wire, newspaper, and upholstery I store in it.



Of course, Scott good naturedly grumbled about all the time he had spent drawing all the lines, so I could write the verse straight only for me to sand most of it off.  LOL  But, it works.  And goes wonderfully with the office, even if it was a mistake.  :)


Don'tcha just love it when that happens?  ;)


Happy Good Friday, y'all...

XO,




11 comments:

Tanya said...

I love how it turned out! Aren't some projects just so frustrating?! Glad you kept going with it though. Happy Easter to you and your family! Hope it's a fabulous weekend :)

Bliss said...

The sander saves the day. There must be a Bible verse that talks about the great sander that uncovers beauty.

Bliss

Finding Fifth said...

and the verse looks wonderful too!

Kimberly T. said...

Wow, that turned out really cool! I think my favorite part s the writing on it. Love a good mess turned awesomeness. :)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my gosh Laura! You could not have asked for a better accident. I absolutely love how the writing shows throught just slightly. I may intentionally try this on something. Your office is fab!
Hugs,
Jann

Unknown said...

louboutin shoes
pandora
coach outlet online
ugg boots clearance
uggs outlet
moncler online outlet
oakley sunglasses
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
canada goose jackets
michael kors outlet
www0815

ARE said...

0820jejeasics chaussures de running gel zaraca femme Dans ce cas, adresse boutique nike france un ressortissant américain ne maîtrisait pas la norme chinoise, mais air jordan 4 noir une attitude positive à l'égard de la culture chinoise ou chaussures new balance moins cher indienne est essentielle au bon fonctionnement de l'équipage Air Jordan 1 France (Noorderhaven, 1997). Certainement, les types les plus substantiels air jordan 5 3lab5 metallic valoriseront un peu plus et les types plus petits coûteront basket nike tn soldes un peu moins. Les fers sont de très grande qualité.

yanmaneee said...

yeezy supply
supreme
cheap jordans
kd shoes
supreme clothing
yeezy shoes
yeezy boost
hermes handbags
adidas yeezy
yeezy 500

slasu said...

More Info great post to read see page go to my site More Bonuses click here to investigate

neque said...

e1q37s2b17 j3q57m6m15 e6m87v2i88 i9h59e7s53 s6u49i6b42 f6q99y3h79

Anonymous said...

supreme outlet
off white
kyrie 6 shoes
off white clothing
supreme hoodie
kobe 9
jordan shoes
hermes birkin
kd shoes
supreme