Welcome To Our Little Big House On The Prairie


Monday, September 26, 2011

Reclaimed Barnwood Sign & Tutorial

Live Simply.  A great motto to live by.  And also the wording I decided to use on a piece of old barnwood I reclaimed from the hub's parents' farm.



I'm pretty sure his Dad had used it at one point to clean fish, since there were scales on the backside.  Yum!  But not a deterrent to me!  I just bleached it really good before I got to work.

This is what I started with:


First I gave it a coat of Chalkboard White by Dutch Boy Paint.  I love how it really made the grain pop.


Then I sanded the heck out of it with steel wool, which is now my new fave to rough up a surface...  Cheap and it works!


And then I cut some burlap, centered it, and hot glued it into place:


I had these starfish laying around that I bought a few years ago when I was back in Virginia Beach, so I decided to glue those down too. . .


Next, because I'm severely straight line challenged, I marked off where the stencil would go.  Seriously, if I tried to just eyeball it, it would turn out looking like this:
                                                      L
                                       i
                                      v
                                        e
                                 S
                                  i                        
                                   m
                                    p
                                     l
                                       y        .

No kidding.

So, if I have to deal with a tiny barely noticeable line on most of my homemade stuff, no biggie.  I'd rather have that than a crooked word.

And since I really, really don't like stencil paper, I decided to make my stencil from regular old printer paper.  Guess what?  Worked like a charm for a fraction of the cost.


After tracing on the words, I filled in the letters with black paint by first dabbing on the outline and then filling it in.  With burlap, you can't smooth the paint on because it catches, so you just dab it on like so. . .


  
And then you're done.  YIPPEE!


Doesn't it just remind you to take a deep breath, even amid all the hustle and bustle of life?


Live Simply.  A reminder to not let the frantic pace of life consume you.


And a little taste of summer, all year through.  (Although I'm really out of step with the rest of blogland, who have all moved onto fall decor.  A little secret. . .  I really don't care too much for fall or halloween decor.  I mean, I like it - just not in my house.  Love the season, just not the traditional decor.  Now Christmas?  Whole 'nother story.)


One of my favorite things in my house.  I got this potpourri shell from TJ Maxx last summer.

  
Now, all I have to do is figure out what to do with it.

Take care!

I've linked this project up to:

Lil' Luna - All Things Good


8 comments:

Our Beaten Path said...

So awesome! I'm glad I found your blog through pintrest! Thanks for stopping by and leaving the kind words!

Shari said...

I love the burlap touch. I am going to do this!

Shari

Amanda said...

This looks gorgeous, I just love everything about it!

Gretchen said...

I love how you keep culling treasures from you fil's farm. :) Reminds me of something I would do too, however I don't always get around to actually doing my projects.
Your sign turned out great and I'm with you about the Fall/Halloween Decor around my house, and love what you are showcasing. Living in MN, I'm always game for beach inspiration...
Gretchen

Anonymous said...

I live in Colorado but am still obsessed with burlap and coastal stuff. Beautiful sign!! Could I ask how you did the letter stencils? Did you just print the letters out and trace? Kind of new to the DIY projects!

oakleyses said...

coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada handbags, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, true religion jeans, air max, jordan shoes, louboutin shoes, oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike free, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade handbags, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin, burberry outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin shoes, air max, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, louis vuitton outlet stores, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet, longchamp outlet

oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, giuseppe zanotti, wedding dresses, iphone 6 cases, instyler, jimmy choo outlet, bottega veneta, baseball bats, canada goose, new balance shoes, uggs outlet, marc jacobs, ugg, babyliss pro, canada goose uk, abercrombie and fitch, insanity workout, chi flat iron, ugg australia, air max, moncler, p90x, mcm handbags, moncler outlet, north face jackets, soccer jerseys, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, ugg pas cher, moncler, hollister clothing store, ghd, soccer shoes, north face outlet, celine handbags, mont blanc, asics running shoes, reebok outlet, canada goose, rolex watches, beats by dre, herve leger, canada goose, ugg boots, ferragamo shoes, valentino shoes, moncler, birkin bag, canada goose jackets, ugg boots

oakleyses said...

lululemon, sac guess, nike huarache, air max, hollister, sac burberry, sac louis vuitton, new balance pas cher, hollister, vanessa bruno, longchamp, sac louis vuitton, barbour, north face, mac cosmetics, hogan outlet, polo ralph lauren, vans pas cher, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, nike tn, sac hermes, nike free pas cher, oakley pas cher, timberland, nike roshe run, north face, louis vuitton, longchamp, ralph lauren, michael kors, air force, nike roshe, nike air max, nike blazer, hollister, nike free, michael kors, sac longchamp, polo lacoste, ray ban pas cher, nike trainers, michael kors pas cher, converse pas cher, louis vuitton uk, vans shoes, air jordan, mulberry, nike roshe run, abercrombie and fitch