Welcome To Our Little Big House On The Prairie


Monday, May 28, 2012

Our Little Piece of the Prairie


The past few days I've been working out in our yard.

 Believe me, yard work isn't my forte.  

I usually leave that up to Scott.

But its just been missing that little piece of femininity.

Know what I mean?

So last week, I got to work.

As a little reminder, this is what I started with:


Pretty blah, eh?

Yeah.

I know.

Believe me, when I started out I had no clue what I was going to do.

I just don't do flowers or outdoorsy stuff.

Never have.

But surprisingly enough, I found out that I really enjoyed it.

Must be something that comes with age.  ;)

Truly, I didn't even know where to start.

So, I just decided to surround myself with things I love.


And this saying just really speaks to my heart
being I'm a southern transplant in the midwest.

After all my rearranging, I wound up with a little vintage potting shed.

I don't know why I never thought of that.


Even though it makes a perfect one.

Wonder why I never realized that before?

Just many little garden vignettes...


that make up the whole.


All of which are made up of items I love like...


blue Ball jars, jute twine, barn stars, and little 
southern spanish moss to make it feel a little like home.


And y'all know how I love my blue Ball jars.

And vintage grains sacks.



And since I can't seem to get away from my east coast upbringing...


And what could be better than eating outside?


with some nice fresh herbs for your cooking...


After being cooped up all winter...  

Nothing.


And somehow it all came together and reminds me of old times.

When things were simpler.

And a lot less hectic.

When you had time to sit and drink a Mint Julep and just breathe.

It just makes me sigh a little.


And the best part about it is, my only cost was the annuals and herbs.  

Everything else, I already had on hand through yard sales, auctions, and thrift shops. 

I just needed to use a little repurposing.

And THAT is the best feeling EVER.

Stay tuned throughout the week and I'll share a few of the transformations - like the barn wood sign, the repurposed washstand, and the crab pot buoys.




Until then...

XO,


11 comments:

P.j. said...

WOW! This is PURE GENIUS! Seriously, you have a gift for repurposing & staging. I love the way you carried your blue & green color scheme outside & used the buoys (but no gulls? :-)

NanaDiana said...

Laura- It looks beautiful and I can't BELIEVE you never had an interest in outdoor things before. You have a wonderful eye for it. Your plants and your staging is just perfect.

Have a Blessed Memorial Day-xo Diana

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

What a delightful blue!

Shannon Fox said...

Fix me a Mint Julep, STAT! I'm on my way ;) It looks perfectly wonderful. The potting shed is such a treat. You are a lucky girl to have such a great little space!! You did it up just right =)

Unknown said...

Oh, Laura...everything is so gorgeous! I especially love the Lavender's Blue, Dilly Dilly. My Kate played it in her first piano recital.

Jessica

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

It's gorgeous now!

Sally @DrinkingFromMySaucer said...

Oh so beautiful! Great job pulling everything together. I love it!

Kammy's Korner said...

So ummmm when are you coming to my house again?? Cuz I reeeeeally need you. You'd just die if you saw some of my outbuildings and whoa, I just NEED YOU. COME. And we can junk shop our hearts out too. :) This looks so awesome - can't believe you just whipped all that up. Looks like a little shop. Hey, maybe you should open one......

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Lucky you!! :)

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, replica watches, burberry handbags, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, prada handbags, prada outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses wholesale, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, christian louboutin uk, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, uggs outlet, christian louboutin, polo outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, replica watches, christian louboutin shoes, tory burch outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, burberry outlet, uggs outlet

oakleyses said...

nike free run, vans pas cher, ralph lauren uk, hollister uk, burberry pas cher, hollister pas cher, north face uk, michael kors, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, timberland pas cher, nike air force, nike tn, nike free uk, true religion outlet, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, ray ban uk, coach outlet store online, lululemon canada, ray ban pas cher, longchamp pas cher, true religion outlet, replica handbags, true religion jeans, nike blazer pas cher, air max, michael kors, oakley pas cher, coach purses, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, sac hermes, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren, sac longchamp pas cher, nike air max, north face, guess pas cher, hogan outlet, true religion outlet, jordan pas cher, mulberry uk, new balance, nike roshe run uk, nike roshe, kate spade, louboutin pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, michael kors pas cher