So, I started this door that sits between the kitchen and the back porch two weeks ago... We had removed it THREE years ago and it had been sitting in the barn FOREVER waiting on me to get around to doing something with it.
As you can see, if needed A LOT of work. Glass missing thanks to my boys. :P SEVERAL layers of paint. I tried stripping... I sanded and sanded and sanded... I peeled off paint in strips. And yet the very. last. layer. wasn't going ANYWHERE. What did they use back in the day??? Its like it had formed a permanently hardened coating. NOTHING took it off. PFFT. Story of my life with everything in this old house. Drives me nuts!
Well, I suppose I could have put a new back door on.
It certainly would have looked BETTER. It would have been NEWER. But it would have lacked any PERSONALITY.
So, this is what I came up with...
Probably should have waited until Scott got the trim on to reveal it, but I've never been known for my patience. LOL! Plus, I'd be waiting WEEKS! :P
I painted it white, distressed, and then glazed it. The numbers I hand painted on using stencils. The glass I replaced with a piece of plywood that I painted using chalkboard paint. Works for me!
And here's the exterior side of it...
I didn't distress or glaze this side. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't done it to the other side either, but once the kitchen gets done, it'll be perfect... I hope. Otherwise, there's always more paint. ;)