Welcome To Our Little Big House On The Prairie


Thursday, January 12, 2012

Office Makeover Madness: Part 4

Part 4, Day 8.  Whatever.  When did I start this again?

You know, I might sound like an i-d-i-o-t, but at least I keep it real.  And that's why you come back every day and laugh with me, right?  With me.  At me.  Same diff.  Because I can tell you this...  I will never be one of those bloggers that make it sound effortless and easy and oh, so simple.  Forget that. This stuff is boring, tedious, and down right frustrating.  :P

For an instant gratification girl like me, this painting the walls crap is for the birds.  Oh, how I long for the days when my hardest job was fretting over the wall color and picking up the phone to call the painters.  Pushing the buttons is a whole lot of work, y'all!  ;)  I'd go shopping, come home, and viola!  Pretty new paint on my walls.  Although, I have to admit that people that can still afford to do that in this economy, are missing out on the huge amount of satisfaction you get from doing it all by yourself.  And they're also missing out on cramping fingers from holding the paint brush, aching knees from climbing up and down the stool/table (we'll get to that in a minute), and the sheer exhaustion that drives you into bed at 8:30 p.m. unbathed, with your fingers still covered in primer.  But hey, my husband still snuggled up to me anyway. HA!  Now, that's L-O-V-E!

So, yesterday I was glaring at the tops of the walls again.  Scott was out and about, scurrying around trying to get everything done before this cold front blew through (and it is BLOWING!) - and I was slightly aggravated that the tops of my walls had not been primered yet.  Grrrrr!!  With a !!.  (Okay, I really wanted to hunt him down and force him, at gun point, to primer the damn walls.  Have you ever wondered what goes through a stay-at-home mom's head?  We have very active imaginations.  HA!)

Since that isn't a legal option (although, an awesome fantasy to giggle over), what did I do?

Well.

I put my big girl panties on and dealt with it. (And I know all of you have been wondering why the heck I didn't do that in the first place.)

I dragged the coffee table out of the living room, through the dining room, and into the office.  I put my step stool on top of the coffee table and got my happy butt to work.


Oh yes.  I did.

I figured if I got a few drips on the table, no biggie.  I've been meaning to re-do it for about 6 months now.  I consider the drips a head start.  LOL!!!

And so...

I finished the primering.

But in the process, I accidently dripped some primer on the base trim...  And the window trim...  And the the door trim.  I'm a sloppy painter, I admit.  So...  OOPS!  I took a swipe at it.  "Swiper, no swiping" (Channeling a little Dora the Explorer there.)  And the swipe went all the way down the trim.  OOPS!  What to do?  I primered it all.  HA!  And I liked it!  HA!  HA!  So, I primered the rest.

Scott walks through the door and says, "OH.  MY.  GOD."  HEHEHEHEHEHE!  At least he was smart and didn't say, "I would have gotten it done, you know."  Yeah.  Right.  So, I finished all the window and door trim.  Today?  Primering the base trim.  And then finish painting the walls.  And painting the trim.

Here's what it looks like this morning:

West wall:


Looking east into the disaster of the Dining Room:


And the south wall:


 No clue why I didn't take a picture of the north wall, but you get the picture, right?

So, what do you think I should do with that door???  Its definitely got to be painted, but I'd like to do something different with it.  Any ideas???

And as for the paint color I was fretting over?  Yeah.  About that.  I just added some white satin paint to it and the color is perfect.  Well, perfect with the white trim anyway.  I don't think it would have looked so good with the natural trim.  And the only thing that stinks about painting the trim is that it takes two coats of the primer to stop the stain from bleeding through.  Good times, I assure you.  :P

Well, that's where I'm at.  And I'm starting to be able to finally visualize the final product, which excites and motivates me.  And you know what?  I'm sooooo glad I sucked it up and just primered the walls because now, when its completed, I can say I did it all by myself.  And that makes every bit of it, absolutely worth it!  :D






P.S.  If anyone want to leave nasty comments because I painted the gorgeous original trim...  Save your breath.  As a wise woman told me, if we ever sell this house and the new owners want stained trim, they can knock themselves out.  I like white trim, this is my house, and I can do what I want to with it.  Thanks, Shan.  :D

3 comments:

Art Is Beauty said...

Only crazy girls like us would be jealous of this, even in the state that is in!!! My imagination is already chugging along at how amazing it going to look....I am excited for you!!! Almost makes me want to get my butt off of the couch and go upstairs and finish my daughters room (we are finally suppose to get the snow here tonight and I have said all winter..when it snows and I am stuck in the house I will do it...) UMM its the middle of January and we still don't have snow....OOPS!! ANYWHOO!!!!! :)
Looks great...sorry for yammering...
Karin
www.artisbeauty.net

Tanya said...

It is looking soooo good Laura! I think for the door, you should try and match the color of that scale you have on the table. Give the door a pop of color :) I cannot wait to see it all done.

Shannon Fox said...

Hey, I'm a WISE woman =) Laura said so! LOL. It's looking good. Baby steps girl. My house is not done either. Good thing I can't get fired. Hmm... I wonder, what color should that interior door get painted? Don't ask me. LOL.
Love ya. Beat, catch up tomorrow. Shan

PS-All my trim was forest green shelac based paint. Try priming over THAT. The green just ran, and ran with the white primer. I had to get spray primer. It was the only thing that could seal that
$&%# in so I could paint it. Fun times, fun times... But I won!