Welcome To Our Little Big House On The Prairie


Thursday, January 19, 2012

Putting The Office Together: Original Desk Makeover

One of the biggest things I second guessed myself about was how to fill up the space in front of my mantle.  I poured over magazines and the internet trying to get a good idea of something that would do the trick.  Enter my old desk.

The desk I used to use for my computer was a small, dainty lady's writing table that my father stripped and refinished.  My Dad had a thing for dark stains.  All the furniture I inherited has it.  And that means a lot of work changing it into something I can live with.


This was probably one of the easiest furniture makeovers I've ever done.  Literally one and a half hours start to finish.  I sanded it a little, just because it had a heavy coat of varnish.  Daddy loved his varnish too.  LOL!  I applied two coats of homemade chalk paint, then sanded lightly with a sanding block to smooth out the finish.  Next I distressed (that caused the blister on my thumb from rubbing LOL), waxed, and added a knob from one I had bought for this purpose a few months ago.  Done.


Instant gratification.


And instead of making the interior permanent by decoupaging a piece of scrap book paper to the inside of the drawer, I just used tape on the backside, so I can change it, if/when I get tired of it.


And I just love her legs...


Although I need to buy a darker wax and apply it, so those details pop.


It never ceases to amaze me what a little paint and time can do.  :)


What a great addition to the mantle.  Love it and so easy to do!  Aren't those the best projects?  :D


5 comments:

Art Is Beauty said...

EEEEK!!! So excited to see you used the chalk paint recipe too!! Don't you just love it!! It turned out so lovely!!!
Great job!!
Karin

Kammy's Korner said...

See? Annie Sloan ain't got nothing on homemade, haha! And I LOVE your desk. Great with the sheet music inside too! As always, you do great work!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

WoW! That came out great. And yes, easy and beautiful is by far the best kind of project. Such a great addition to the mantel area! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. When you were there did you have a chance to check out our challenge? It's not too late to join and it'd be so fun to have you participate! I'm now your newest follower

Little Prairie Girl said...

i LOVE the redo of this table! Have to admit though, I did cringe when you said you were re-painting over what your Dad has stained I am sentimentel like that...BUT I have to agree I love the new lighter look to it and it's still a family heirloom just changed up to meet YOUR needs.

I love the distressing of it...did you use baking soda in your paint or unsanded grout or do you have your own secret recipe?

I still can't believe how you find time to redo these pieces...I have been sitting staring at this dresser I want to redo for 3 days! It is still sitting in my dining room looking at me!

Hugs,

Natalie

Unknown said...

Love it! And I love the paper you put inside :) I'm your newest follower!

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
http://bonniegetchell.blogspot.com